150 Things You Didn’t Know About the Chamber
From our first board chair in 1884, R. W. Woodbury, to D. D. “Del” Hock in 1990 to our current and incoming board chairs Todd Munson and, Denise Burgess, our board chairs have been influential in the Denver community.
There are 10 affiliates of the Chamber: Colorado Competitive Council, Colorado Energy Coalition, Colorado Investment Services Coalition, Colorado Space Coalition, Denver Metro Chamber Leadership Foundation, Denver Metro Small Business Development Center, Denver Opportunity Youth Investment Initiative, Metro Denver Aviation Coalition, Metro Denver Economic Development Corporation and Mobility Choice Blueprint Initiative.
In 1925, the Chamber endorsed the expansion program of the University of Denver to raise $100,000,000 needed for buildings and an endowment of a five-year expansion program. When DU’s Hilltop Stadium opened in 1926 the Chamber presented a Denver flag at the opening ceremony.
The Greater Denver Corporation, predecessor to the Metro Denver EDC, was a huge part of removing Denver’s Brown Cloud in the 1990s.
From 1979 to 1980, the Chamber hit its $1 million mark in the annual pledged membership income for the first time in its history.
The Chamber’s mission is to put more Coloradans to work. Nothing helps families, neighbors, community and economy more than the opportunity for more of us to go to work in great jobs.
The Chamber established the Bureau of Information, mailing literature to 50,000 prospective visitors in 1887.
Telemarketing campaigns were how the Chamber maintained its strong membership base in 1984. Volunteers from member companies participated in week-long campaigns several times that year.
In 2016, staff at the Chamber contributed more than $20,000 to the metro Denver community.
That Chamber members in 1933 used “Member, Denver Chamber of Commerce ‘Prepare for Prosperity’” as their tagline in the business’s advertisements.